Tuesday, June 9, 2009

William Haines ~ Inspiring Decorator

Photo courtesy of http://www.williamhaines.com/

One of my favorite decorators is William Haines. The book William Haines A Class Act by Peter Schifando and Jean H. Mathison is, in my opinion, aptly titled. I count this book among the many in my interior decorating and design collection.

Learning about this former leading man's route to interior decorating was very interesting, especially for his time (the 1930's), beginning with his start in opening an antique shop to decorating for all his star friends. Joan Crawford used his decorating services for many of her homes over the years, as well as being his friend.


Photo courtesy of http://www.williamhaines.com/

I was so taken by one of his many quotes that I put it on my website: "The only real freedom we have left is the home. Only there can we express anything we want".


photo courtesy of http://www.williamhaines.com/

Williams Haines is absolutely a "class act", and if you get a chance to look through the book, I think you will enjoy it. For more information about the current company, and some history of William Haines, you can visit the website at http://www.williamhaines.com/.

10 comments:

DesignTies said...

Interesting post and an inspiring quote :-) How true that we can (and should!) express ourselves and the things we love in our homes :-)

Kelly @ DesignTies

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Thank you Kelly! I think his quote has stood up well through the decades.

Elite Home Decor said...

Wow! I love the quote and thanks for sharing. I will have to read more about him now...

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

I enjoyed the book (coffee table book size). I found he was a very interesting man.

DesignTies said...

I'm definitely going to explore the sites you've shared, Kathy!

I'm curious... you commented on my projects post about a window you transformed into a mirror. Do you have any pictures? I'd love to see the final result!!

All the best!
Victoria @ DesignTies

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Victoria ~ I'm sure I have pictures somewhere; I'll look over the weekend. It is one of the items I gave away as I'm getting stuff packed up, so I can't even take a picture of it now. Having the mirror and wire hanger done didn't cost much at all, either.

Marie Cole said...

Thank you for the book recommendation, looks like a great read!

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Marie ~ A very interesting man, who I knew nothing about until I went through the book.

Sierra said...

Oh, and welcome to SITS! :) I love that quote too...

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Thank you for the comment & welcome!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...