Sunday, April 11, 2010

Fabric Toile Wreath

I wanted to do something for my front door, but I just wasn’t feeling a typical wreath.  I had a piece of scrap wood in the garage that I painted black and I ordered a vinyl that said “Welcome” in a pretty font.  That was about all I knew I wanted to be involved. 

I had also picked up a plain, unfinished wreath at the dollar store and some red and white floral bushes.  While at Michaels I had also seen some florals ~ cream colored roses ~ and they were on sale for 40% off, so I picked them up, too.  I still had no idea what I might do. 

IMG_5531_2829

Today, I had an idea.  The picture above is what I had to work with.  I have to tell you that I don’t have a lot of pictures of the process because I wasn’t sure how this was going to work out ~ if at all.  Below is a picture of the back mid-wrapping.

 IMG_5543_2843

I had some left over toile fabric from the stool and window shades I did in my living room.  I ripped them into strips the long way so I would have plenty of fabric.  I folded over one long end so I had a “finished” edge and, using hot glue to hold sections in place, I started wrapping it around the wreath.  Below is a front view ~ mid-wrapping.

 IMG_5544_2844

I took the vinyl I got that said “Welcome” and put that on the wood.  I then attached that with some hot glue on each side.

IMG_5547_2845

I decided not to use the florals I picked up from the dollar store.  I liked the roses better for this project and it made me think of a rose bush that hangs over a gate.  I cut some of the stems off and hot glued the first two right above the sign on each end.  I then found that the fabric folds came in handy to tuck some of the floral stems into, so I put a dab of hot glue on them and then tucked them in place.  I used some extra leaves to fill in where I felt they were needed along the bottom of the wreath.  I just dabbed some glue on them and tucked them in between.

IMG_5552_2848

I wiggled a piece of floral wire through the fabric fold at the top {which was actually where I wound up finishing off the fabric wrap} and put a 3M Command hook on my front door to hold the wreath. 

IMG_5554_2850

I need to keep things to a minimum depth here, because I have a full view storm door and there is only so much room between that and the main door.   To put anything on the outside of the storm door risks weather damage here, as I don’t have a front porch or overhang to offer protection from wind or rain.

The three rose stems I tucked into the top I did not hot glue as I’m not sure if I want to keep them there or add something else.  They are being held in place by the folds in the fabric {pretty securely, too} until I decide what I want to do.

IMG_5555_2851

I thought this was a different way to approach a wreath and I am kind of liking the way it turned out.

Linking up to the following linky parties:

Metamorphosis Monday at  Between Naps On The Porch

It’s So Very Creative at It’s So Very Cheri

DIY Day at A Soft Place To Land

Be Inspired at Room To Inspire

Make It Yours at My Backyard Eden

Saturday Night Special at Funky Junk Interiors

46 comments:

Sissie's Shabby Cottage said...

Hi Kathy,
I really like your door decoration. I am always trying to think of something different because I too get a little tired of wreaths.
I especially like the toile fabric and the black on the sign.

Of course I have to make two because I have double glass doors.

Thanks for the idea and the inspiration.

hugs
Sissie

Patricia said...

Super cute Kathy!!!

The French Bear said...

Now that is gorgeous!!!!
Hugs,
Margaret B

Anonymous said...

That turned out great. I love the fabric mixed in with the flowers.

Allison Shops said...

Very creative! Different. I like it!

Allison

Angie Acapella said...

I love that! So clean and simple. Lovely!

Sharon@keenInspirations said...

An elegant wreath, warm and welcoming!

Stephanie Lynn @Under the Table and Dreaming said...

Love the toile! Sounds so easy and quick - The black and white looks stunning against your door and the Welcome sign is the perfect touch!! Hope you have a great week! Thanks for sharing!

Marsha @ Tattered Chick said...

So very pretty, Kathy!!

Here in my area ALL spray paint is under lock and key everywhere, hardware stores, craft stores, and you're so right, it's always difficult finding someone to open it!!

xxoo

EMBELLISH said...

I like the way you began by wrapping the wreath with material. Very clever.

the cape on the corner said...

i really love that. it is a very simple and classy look that can be kept up for multiple seasons. looks great.

Leanne said...

I love how it turned out. Love the colors too. Black and white are my favorite.

Unknown said...

That looks great. I have a narrow divide between my doors as well, so maybe I should give something like that a try. So far mine stays empty - ow exciting is that?

The Tuscan Home said...

Gorgeous, Kathy! =) ~Liz

LaurieAnna's Vintage Home said...

That turned out so pretty! Aren't quick projects fun?! Almost instant gratification!

Tammy@InStitches said...

I love toile anything. You are so creative !

julie - eab designs said...

Black and white - my favorite combination! I love it! You've inspired me to start thinking about my front door.

Michele's Treasures, Teacups, and Tumbling Rose Cottage said...

I love toile. This looks great. ; )
~Michele

Decor To Adore said...

I am peeking out of my turtle shell to say thank you for your kindness and support.
This post provided me with the inspiration that I need something for my front door.

One Cheap B*tch said...

Love it!

Kim said...

Hey Kathy! I'm a Toile-a-holic, so you had me at hello.
xoxo,
Kim

Jane said...

I like how your mind works! The wreath looks beautiful. I love the toile fabric.
Jane

Unknown said...

Seriously freakin cute!

Tammy said...

Your wreath is beau-ti-ful!
smiles...Tammy

Kristens Creations said...

Hi Kathy, very pretty wreath! I really like the "welcome" sign in the middle. I came by yesterday to look at your tablescape, but got distracted and did not leave a comment. That happens to me alot! lol...It looked great on your table! I'm glad you are pleased with it! Thanks for posting about it. You asked about custom arrangements...Yes I can do them. You might have seen the one Melissa just posted on her site. Let me know if you need anything. I will be posting alot more items soon. Ever since I got back from Dallas it seems like all I've done is run errands and clean house!lol...I'll get things back in order soon. I hope you are having a great week!! Kristen

Verdigris Vie said...

Kathy - every time I think you have gone mad you show me how amzingly talented you are..:-) When I saw Farbic wreath.. I thought, "now what has she got herself in to? " The wreath is fantastic. Everything you do is so refined. I will never doubt again..:-)

Angie said...

It turned out great! I love anything toile!

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

You had me at toile and roses...it turned out wonderful!

Unknown said...

Hi KATHY~ SO pretty I just love it! The vinyl sign is my fav. Great job, and thanks for your visit too. I am going to follow you now... ;) HAVE A GREAT DAY! JGG

Andrea said...

Very elegant!!

Jennifer Juniper said...

I love how it turned out - toile always upgrades any project :)

Tara@JustDevineStyle said...

Kathy, What a clever idea. I love the toile! The vinyl Welcome looks great too.

Paula ~ castleandcottagesigns said...

Love how that came out Kathy! The black with the white roses is right up my alley!! :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Kathy, i love the wreath!!It came out so pretty.Don't you love those coupons...Kathy

Roeshel said...

It's so pretty! I love toile and I LOVE your door! :)

Roeshel

Absolutely Ladylike said...

This is absolutely stunning Kathy! I'm in love with flowers generally :-)

Hope your week is lovely so far!

Melissa Miller said...

Kathy this is so precious! You come up with the most creative ideas. ~Beautiful! :)

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

So cute Kathy! It looks great on your door. I love the toile and the sign. So fun!

XOOX
Jen

CosmoGirl Carla said...

Super-cute, Kathy! And it looks like a quick project, which I'm all about. Thanks for sharing.

Carla

DesignTies said...

Your wreath turned out great!! Love how you wrapped the toile fabric around the form.

I'm sure everyone who comes to your home will feel most welcome when they see your lovely wreath :-)

Kelly

Room to Inspire said...

Great wreath! I really like that you used toile - I would have never thought of using fabric. It looks great with the flowers and the sign! Thanks for linking up to Be Inspired today.

Chelsea

Embellished Bayou said...

Good job, it looks great! I especially love the welcome sign part.

Kendra@Creative Ambitions said...

Kathy...that's so pretty! Love it!!

Funky Junk Interiors said...

What a lovely elegant touch to your door! I have nothing but nothing on mine. Yikes. Thanks for the heads up! And for linking up to SNS!

FJ Donna

Katie said...

Very cute!! Great idea!

Carolyn @ My Backyard Eden said...

That turned out so pretty Kathy! I love the toile! Very sweet with the vinyl lettered plaque!

Thanks for linking up to Make it Yours day! Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...